The mission of Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church is to Worship God the Father, son, and holy Spirit, Serve those in need, and Reach out with the Good News of salvation through Jesus Christ.”
Our church was founded by Swedish immigrants in 1870. The name was changed to “Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church” in 1923 to make it clear that everyone is welcome regardless of ethnic background. We were originally affiliated with the Augustana Synod. We have merged with other churches with similar practices and beliefs and are currently in the Central States Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America. We are located in the central part of Topeka, on eighth street, only six blocks west of the Kansas state capitol building. We are active in the Topeka “Old Town” Neighborhood Improvement Association and “Doorstep,” a Christian social service organization located two blocks to our south. Members represent all age groups, ethnic backgrounds, and reside in all sections of Shawnee county.
Our mission of serving those in need is met in three categories- Foreign, National, and Local. We work cooperatively with our Synod and national church body on the Foreign and National level. We have adopted a “Fifth Sunday” program to meet local social needs. On months that contain five Sundays we take a collection on that Sunday that goes to support various local social service groups such as- The Topeka Rescue Mission, Doorstep, Let’s Helps, and our own food pantry and financial assistance to individuals who come to us for help. Individual members work on a regular schedule at Doorstep, and serve on the Doorstep Board of Directors.